You’ll need some information to start your claim for Family Tax Benefit. Once you’ve submitted your claim, you’ll also need to provide supporting documents.
What you need for your claim
You need the following information to start your claim:
- your family’s income details
- your partner’s residence details
- tax file numbers (TFN) for you and your partner.
We can’t pay you if you don’t give us your TFN. If you have a partner, we’ll need their TFN too. If you or your partner don’t have a TFN, or don’t know what yours is, you can apply for one through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Read more about applying for a TFN on the ATO website.
If you’re experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances and can’t organise a TFN, call the Families line.
We also need your bank account details. The account must be either:
- in your name
- a joint account in your name.
It can’t be in a child’s name unless you’re the signatory or trustee.
If you were born outside Australia or have lived overseas, we may need:
- your residence details and passport number
- the date you started living in Australia, if you weren’t born in Australia
- details of periods you or your child were living outside Australia.
We need details about your child including their name and date of birth. If applicable, we’ll also need:
- proof of the birth or adoption, if not already established with us
- details of the previous carer
- details of shared care arrangements
- details of child support received.
We’ll let you know if we need any other documents.
When to provide documents
You have 14 days to provide the documents we ask for as part of your claim.
You have 28 days to provide your TFN and bank account details.
How to submit documents
Read our guide to submitting documents using your Centrelink online account.
You can also send them by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.
Page last updated: 25 February 2021
This information was printed 15 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/family-tax-benefit/how-claim/supporting-documents. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.