Who can get it

To get this payment you must contact us within 7 days of your release from prison or psychiatric confinement.

You can’t get this payment if you’re in an immigration detention centre.

You must be in severe financial hardship and have both:

  • been charged with committing an offence
  • spent 14 or more days in prison or psychiatric confinement.

If you’ve been released from a prison or psychiatric confinement located overseas, you can still claim a Crisis Payment. You must submit your claim from within Australia once you’ve returned.

We consider you to have made contact if you do 1 of these to get a payment or concession card:

  • begin a claim using your Centrelink online account
  • call us on your regular payment line
  • visit a service centre.

After contacting us, you must submit your claim within 14 days.

Page last updated: 27 July 2020