What you need to do if you get a payment

If you’re getting COVID-19 Disaster Payment, you need to tell us about any changes to your circumstances within 14 days.

If you need to cancel your COVID-19 Disaster Payment, you can do this by updating your circumstances with us. How you do this depends on how you claimed the payment.

Watch this video to find out more about change of circumstance.

If you tell us about a change in your circumstances, any automated COVID-19 Disaster Payments will stop. If you still need it, you can submit a new claim.

If you have a change in your circumstances, you must tell us within 14 days. If you don’t, you could get a debt which you’ll need to repay.

You’ll need to let us know if there are changes to any of the following:

  • your employment such as your employer
  • your hours of work compared to the last claiming period
  • your bank account details
  • your residence status
  • where you live or work
  • if you are no longer subject to a second public health order as a result of being present in a COVID-19 hotspot
  • your employer starts paying your usual income to you as they’re getting Retaining Domestic Airline Capability payments on your behalf.

You must also tell us if you start getting another payment or entitlement during the same period as your COVID-19 Disaster Payment. This includes any of the following:

  • Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment
  • any territory based pandemic payment
  • employer funded pandemic-related leave entitlements
  • an income support payment
  • Dad and Partner Pay
  • Parental Leave Pay
  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance.

If you claimed online through myGov

Let us know about changes to your circumstances by completing the update your circumstances task in your Centrelink online account.

If you would like to stop automatic payments, you can also do this by completing the task.

Follow these steps:

  1. Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink.
  2. Select Start task on the COVID-19 Disaster Payment - update your circumstances task.
  3. Follow the prompts to answer the questions.
  4. Review and submit your update.

When you’re ready:

Sign in to myGov

If you claimed over the phone

You can call us on the Emergency information line to tell us about any changes to your circumstances.

Page last updated: 7 September 2021