Who can get it

You must meet all eligibility rules to get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment - New South Wales (NSW).

If you’re a sole trader, you may be eligible for this payment. You should check if you’re eligible for a NSW business support payment first.

You can only get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment or a state business support payment per relevant period, not both. You need to decide which payment is best for you.

You can read more about business grants and financial assistance on the NSW Government website.

To get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment, you need to meet all eligibility rules that apply.

This includes all of these rules:

  • you’re an Australian resident or hold a visa that gives you the right to work in Australia
  • you’re 17 years or older
  • you’re not getting an income support payment, Dad and Partner Pay, Parental Leave Pay or ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • you’re not getting the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, a state or territory pandemic payment or a state small business payment for the same period
  • you’ve lost hours of work and income due to a lockdown in your state and don’t have any pandemic-related paid leave entitlements
  • you couldn’t earn your usual income of 8 hours or more or a full day’s work because you were in a NSW COVID-19 hotspot and are subject to restricted movement
  • you’re not getting your usual income and your employer is not getting Retaining Domestic Airline Capability payments on your behalf
  • you lived or worked in or visited a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot in NSW that is subject to a restricted movement order.

You meet the requirement of living or working in a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot if both of these apply:

  • you live or work in an area which isn’t locked down
  • you can’t work because you’re unable to cross into or out of the lockdown area.

You don’t have to take annual leave before you can get this payment. If you choose to take annual leave and it doesn’t cover all the hours of work you’ve lost, you can still get the payment.

You can check your visa details and conditions, including your right to work in Australia, using the Department of Home Affair’s VEVO system.

A full day of your usual work is what you were scheduled to work, but couldn’t because of a restricted movement order. This includes not being able to attend a full-time, part-time or casual shift of less than 8 hours.

You must also meet any rules for the COVID-19 health order that affected you. These may be different, depending on the circumstances for each location or movement restriction.

Read about the rules for these locations:

Restricted movement is a period when either:

  • people must stay at home and can only leave for approved reasons
  • there are restrictions on the number of people who can gather in a workplace, including a business.

A hotspot is an area of COVID-19 local transmission declared by the Chief Medical Officer. The Department of Health website lists the current hotspots.

Next: What the locations are

There are different locations where COVID-19 lockdowns, hotspots or movement restrictions apply in New South Wales. There are also different payment periods.

Page last updated: 14 September 2021