What’s on it
Your payment summary shows your taxable and tax-related payments. You need this to lodge a tax return.
- your Centrelink payments
- payment dates
- taxable and tax exempt amounts
- tax withheld amounts - deductions
- Remote area allowance amounts, if you get it.
Read about how to set up tax deductions when paying tax on a Centrelink payment.
Payments shown on your payment summary
Which payments are taxable
Taxable payments included on payment summaries are:
- ABSTUDY – if you're 16 or older
- Age Pension
- Australian Government emergency payment – where the payment is taxable
- Bereavement Allowance
- Business Service Wage Assessment Tool Payment (BSWAT) lump sum in arrears
- Community Development Employment Program (CDEP) Participant Supplement
- Dad and Partner Pay
- Disability Support Pension – if you are of Age Pension age
- Disaster Recovery Allowance – where the payment is taxable
- Drought Relief Payment
- Education Entry Payment
- Emergency and General Assistance Payment
- Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
- Farm Household Allowance
- Farm Household Allowance Relief Payment
- Farm Household Allowance Supplement
- JobSeeker Payment
- Newstart Allowance
- Parental Leave Pay – unless it has been paid by your employer
- Parenting Payment – single and partnered
- Partner Allowance
- PaTH Internship Incentive – Newstart
- PaTH Internship Incentive – Pension
- Pensioner Partner Allowance
- Pensions Mature Age Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Special Benefit – if you're 16 or older
- Widow Allowance
- Widow B Pension
- Wife Pension Age – if you or your partner are of Age Pension age
- Wife Pension Disability – if you or your partner are of Age Pension age
- Youth Allowance – if you're 16 or older
- Youth Disability Supplement – if you’re 16 or older, paid with Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY.
Your Carer Payment will be taxable if either you or any:
- of your care receivers is of Age Pension age
- person you get Carer Allowance for is of Age Pension age and you transferred from Wife Pension.
Which payments are non-taxable
Non-taxable payments included on payment summaries are:
- Australian Government emergency payment, also known as ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Allowance – where the payment is non-taxable, you don’t need to include this in your tax return
- Carer Payment – if you and all care receivers are under Age Pension age
- Disability Support Pension – if you are under Age Pension age
- Disaster Recovery Allowance – where the payment is non-taxable, you don’t need to include this in your tax return
- Wife Pension Age – if you and your partner are under the Age Pension age
- Wife Pension Disability – if you and your partner are under the Age Pension age
- Youth Disability Supplement – when paid with Disability Support Pension.
Payments not shown on your payment summary
Which payments are taxable
Some COVID-19 taxable payments are not included on your payment summary. You will need to declare these payments when you lodge your tax return. These include:
The Coronavirus Supplement is taxable but you will not see this reported separately on your Centrelink payment summary. It will be included in the total amount of the payment you received it with, for example Parenting Payment, Youth Allowance, or Jobseeker payment.
The following amounts don’t display separately on your Centrelink payment summary. We’ll include these additional taxable amounts in the taxable payment amount you get:
- Additional Assistance – regular
- Transitional Basic Pension Supplement
- Basic Pension Supplement
- Bereavement lump sum above the tax exempt amount
- Coronavirus Supplement
- Partner Bereavement Payment above the tax exempt amount
- Living Allowance, Term or School Boarder
- National Work Experience Programme
- Remote Jobs and Communities Programme Supplement
- School Fees Allowance Group 2 or Board
- Work for the Dole.
Access your payment summary using a self service option. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) may pre-fill your payment summary details in the myTax system.
Page last updated: 29 July 2021
This information was printed 7 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/centrelink-payment-summary/whats-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.