What’s on it
Your payment summary shows your taxable and tax-related payments. You need this to lodge a tax return.
- your Centrelink payments
- payment dates
- taxable and tax exempt amounts
- tax withheld amounts - deductions
- Remote area allowance amounts, if you get it.
Read about how to set up tax deductions when paying tax on a Centrelink payment.
Payments shown on your payment summary
Taxable payments included on payment summaries are:
- ABSTUDY – if you're 16 or older
- Age Pension
- Australian Government emergency payment – where the payment is taxable
- Bereavement Allowance
- Business Service Wage Assessment Tool Payment (BSWAT) lump sum in arrears
- Community Development Employment Program (CDEP) Participant Supplement
- Dad and Partner Pay
- Disability Support Pension – if you are of Age Pension age
- Disaster Recovery Allowance – where the payment is taxable
- Drought Relief Payment
- Education Entry Payment
- Emergency and General Assistance Payment
- Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
- Farm Household Allowance
- Farm Household Allowance Relief Payment
- Farm Household Allowance Supplement
- JobSeeker Payment
- Newstart Allowance
- Parental Leave Pay
- Parenting Payment – single and partnered
- Partner Allowance
- PaTH Internship Incentive - Newstart
- PaTH Internship Incentive - Pension
- Pensioner Partner Allowance
- Pensions Mature Age Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Special Benefit – if you're 16 or older
- Widow Allowance
- Widow B Pension
- Wife Pension Age – if you or your partner are of Age Pension age
- Wife Pension Disability – if you or your partner are of Age Pension age
- Youth Allowance – if you're 16 or older
- Youth Disability Supplement – if you’re 16 or older, paid with Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY.
Your Carer Payment will be taxable if either you or any:
- of your care receivers is of Age Pension age
- person you get Carer Allowance for is of Age Pension age and you transferred from Wife Pension.
Non-taxable payments included on payment summaries are:
- Australian Government emergency payment, also known as ex-gratia Disaster Recovery Allowance – where the payment is non-taxable, you don’t need to include this in your tax return
- Carer Payment – if you and all care receivers are under Age Pension age
- Disability Support Pension – if you are under Age Pension age
- Disaster Recovery Allowance – where the payment is non-taxable, you don’t need to include this in your tax return
- Wife Pension Age – if you and your partner are under the Age Pension age
- Wife Pension Disability – if you and your partner are under the Age Pension age
- Youth Disability Supplement – when paid with Disability Support Pension.
The following amounts don’t display separately on your Centrelink payment summary. We’ll include these additional taxable amounts in the taxable payment amount you get:
- Additional Assistance – regular
- Transitional Basic Pension Supplement
- Basic Pension Supplement
- Bereavement lump sum above the tax exempt amount
- Coronavirus Supplement
- Partner Bereavement Payment above the tax exempt amount
- Living Allowance, Term or School Boarder
- National Work Experience Programme
- Remote Jobs and Communities Programme Supplement
- School Fees Allowance Group 2 or Board
- Work for the Dole.
Access your payment summary using a self service option. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) may pre-fill your payment summary details in the myTax system.
Page last updated: 1 July 2020
This information was printed 21 January 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/centrelink-payment-summary/whats-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.