Rules for carers
You must meet these rules to get Carer Payment as a carer.
You must be providing constant care in the home of 1 of the following:
- someone who has a severe disability or severe illness
- someone who is frail aged
- 2 to 4 children younger than 16 whose needs equal 1 child with severe needs
- 1 or 2 children younger than 16 and 1 adult whose needs equal 1 child with severe needs.
Transfer from Wife Pension
There’s different rules if you transferred to Carer Payment on 20 March 2020 because you were getting both:
- Wife Pension
- payment level Carer Allowance.
You’ll keep getting Carer Payment as long as there’s no break in your eligibility for payment level Carer Allowance. You must also either:
- continue to meet the rules for Carer Allowance
- get payment level Carer Allowance for another person you provide care for.
Page last updated: 3 March 2021
This information was printed 20 September 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/carer-payment/who-can-get-it/rules-carers. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.