Rules for a person 16 years or older getting care
A care receiver 16 or older must meet these rules for their carer to be eligible for Carer Allowance.
The person getting care must meet all of the following:
- score high enough on the Adult Disability Assessment Determination 2018 (ADAT)
- be likely to have the illness or disability for at least 12 months, unless it’s terminal
- get care from someone in their home, the carer's home or in hospital.
The ADAT has both:
- questions the carer must answer
- questions the health professional who treats the person getting care must answer.
Page last updated: 28 April 2021
This information was printed 10 September 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/carer-allowance/who-can-get-it/rules-person-16-years-or-older-getting-care. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.