Keeping your BasicsCard safe
If your BasicsCard is lost, stolen or damaged you should tell us as soon as possible.
If your BasicsCard is lost, stolen or damaged call our BasicsCards lost or stolen line as soon as possible. This line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We’ll stop anyone else from using your BasicsCard and will talk to you about how to get access to your income managed money until you get a new BasicsCard.
To keep your BasicsCard safe you should do all of the following:
- don't throw it away
- remember to take it when you leave a store
- keep it in your BasicsCard wallet which you get when you pick up your BasicsCard in a service centre.
Protecting your PIN
Your BasicsCard is protected with a 4-digit PIN. You’ll choose a PIN when you get your BasicsCard. You must keep your PIN secret and secure. This means that you do not do ny of the following:
- tell anyone else your PIN, including family and friends
- write your PIN on your BasicsCard or on anything carried with your BasicsCard
- let anyone else see your PIN when you use it
- let anyone else use your BasicsCard.
If someone has your BasicsCard and knows your PIN, they could spend all your money.
If you forget your PIN, call the Income Management line.
Page last updated: 28 May 2020
This information was printed 27 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/basicscard/how-manage-your-card/keeping-your-basicscard-safe. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.