Prove your identity

You may need to prove your identity before you claim a payment.

If you’re in a COVID-19 hotspot and cannot submit your claim online, call our Centrelink employment services line. Check local COVID-19 restrictions before you visit a service centre.

If you want to claim a payment, you need a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN). You can get a CRN by proving who you are with us online, over the phone or at a service centre.

If you’re claiming for the first time, you need to give us an acceptable photo identity document in person. You need to bring this document to a service centre.

What happens if you have an authorised nominee

If you have a nominee dealing with us on your behalf, they can contact us to prove who you are. If we can verify your nominee over the phone, we’ll accept your identity details from them. We’ll let your nominee know if we need any further information.

When you need to prove your partner’s identity

Your partner also needs to prove their identity with us, if you’re claiming:

They can do this over the phone.

Page last updated: 10 May 2021