Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you or the student leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, we’ll continue to pay you for up to 2 years. But, both of these must apply:

  • the principal family home is in Australia and meets an isolation condition
  • the student continues to meet the eligibility criteria.

We can pay you for a student who is studying through Distance Education Methods and travels overseas. But only if all of the following apply:

  • the student is overseas for less than 12 months
  • the student remains enrolled at an approved Australian distance education institution
  • you give assurance that the student will carry out the required school work on a full time basis.

We can pay for a student if they’re participating in an international student exchange. They must also meet all of the following:

  • they remain enrolled at an Australian education institution and the institution credits the overseas study to their Australian studies
  • the student is continuing to incur study costs in Australia
  • the student continues to meet all other eligibility criteria.

We'll reassess the student’s eligibility if both apply:

  • the student has left Australia without having their overseas study approved
  • you provide enrolment and study details for the student’s overseas study.

When to tell us about your travel

You should tell us if you or the student leave Australia and any of these apply:

  • you or the student are going to live in another country
  • you're leaving temporarily for more than 2 years
  • the student is studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course
  • the student is leaving temporarily and won't continue to study full time.

Otherwise, you don't need to tell us that you or the student are leaving Australia. Australia's immigration department tell us when you or the student leave and return to Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get information on how your travel could affect your payments and concession cards. You may need to call us on the Assistance for Isolated Children line to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 17 February 2021