What the approved reasons are

In most cases you must be currently studying to get ABSTUDY while outside Australia. However, you may get it to attend a family crisis or to get medical treatment.

If you’re a secondary school student studying an approved course outside Australia, we may pay you for 1 of these periods:

  • up to 12 months
  • the duration of the study if you’re doing an approved international educational exchange program
  • the duration of your parent’s posting if the Commonwealth of Australia employs your parent and they’re posted overseas.

If you’re doing approved study or work outside Australia, we can pay you for the duration of the activity. But you must be one of the following:

  • a secondary non-school student
  • a tertiary student
  • a master’s student
  • a doctorate student
  • an Australian Apprentice.

Other approved reasons for payment overseas

We may pay ABSTUDY outside Australia for up to 6 weeks. But you must be travelling outside Australia for one of these approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to visit a family member who is critically ill
  • to get eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia.

If you’re attending an Australian Defence Force Reserves training camp, you’ll get your payment for the duration of the training.

Page last updated: 14 January 2021