Change of circumstances
You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get ABSTUDY Living Allowance.
What to tell us
You need to tell us if any of the following things change:
- you change or correct your name
- your personal and contact details
- your bank details
- your study, including any changes to your study load
- your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
- care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
- you're leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
- your or your partner's income or assets change.
You also need to tell us if there are changes to both your:
- accommodation details
- living arrangements if you’re single and start sharing your accommodation with a non family member who’s 16 or older.
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have a debt you need to pay back.
How to tell us
To tell us about changes to accommodation and relationship details you’ll need to complete the:
- accommodation details form for accommodation changes
- relationship details form for changes to living arrangements.
For other changes to your circumstances you can tell us using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the ABSTUDY line.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
Page last updated: 6 January 2021
This information was printed 2 August 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/abstudy-living-allowance/how-manage-your-allowance/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.