Change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if any of the following things change:

  • you change or correct your name
  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your study, including any changes to your study load or if coronavirus has affected your study
  • you're leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
  • your accommodation details.

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have debt you need to pay back.

How to tell us

You need to tell us if your circumstances change within 14 days. You can tell us using one of these self service options:

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the ABSTUDY line.

Changing or correcting your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:

  • an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
  • your consent to verify the document.

You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.

You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the website.

Page last updated: 6 January 2021