Non-student travellers

Sometimes, someone other than you can get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.

Types of non-student travellers

Someone other than you can get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance. To get it they need to be either:

  • your dependant, like a partner or dependent child
  • a family member
  • your supervisor
  • a travelling companion
  • an educational institution representative.

These travellers can also get financial help for overnight accommodation and meals, but not for any loss of pay.


Your partner and dependent children may get help to travel to and from your place of study.

There are conditions you need to meet to get help for travel for your dependants.

You’ll need to be eligible for ABSTUDY Fares Allowance and one or more of the following:

  • Parenting Payment
  • Health Care Card
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card.

There are also rules about the type of travel dependants can access. If you’re eligible, your dependants can get help for any of the following:

  • school holiday travel
  • start and end of studies travel
  • orientation or special purpose travel
  • compassionate travel.

Family members

Your parent or guardian, partner or close family member can get help to travel. They can travel to and from your place of study for either of the following reasons:


Supervisors can get help to travel with you if you meet both of these conditions:

  • you’re studying at secondary school and getting ABSTUDY Fares Allowance
  • you’re younger than 18.

Supervisors need to be 18 or over. They also must be 1 of the following:

  • your parent or guardian
  • a person from your local community
  • a representative from your school or hostel.

Keep in mind, if you’re younger than 12, you must travel with a supervisor.

If you’re 12 to 17, you should travel with a supervisor in any of these situations:

  • you’re travelling to your place of study for the first time
  • you’re taking more than 1 type of travel, for example a flight and a bus
  • you have a break in your trip, for example needing to take 2 flights with a wait between them
  • you’ll be travelling for more than 1 day
  • you’ve missed buses, flights or trains in the past
  • you need emotional or psychological support.

Your supervisor needs to look after you if the trip doesn’t go as planned. For example, if a bus gets cancelled they must stay with you until another one comes.

Travelling companions

A travelling companion can get help to travel with you. You must get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance and need a travel companion because you’re sick, hurt or live with a disability.

A travelling companion is anyone who can help you travel. Travelling companions can get a trip between your home and place of study for all types of travel.

Educational institution representatives

Educational institutions may send someone to your community. They may travel to conduct:

Up to 2 representatives can get help to travel to your community to meet you if:

  • there are at least 6 students in your community who need to meet with them
  • it’s cheaper for them to travel than for the students to travel.

Page last updated: 31 May 2019