Parent or guardian responsibilities
There are certain responsibilities a parent or guardian must meet when you get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
As a parent or guardian, you agree to do some things if your child gets this payment.
You must contact your child’s boarding school or hostel either:
- at least 6 weeks before your child needs to travel
- as soon as possible if they’re travelling for compassionate reasons.
You must also:
- tell the boarding school or hostel if your child is travelling there for the first time
- tell the boarding school or hostel if your child needs a supervisor to go with them
- not tell someone to collect your child mid-trip, as they could miss travel and you could owe money
- check if you need to take your child to their travel arrangements and collect your child when they return
- call your child’s school as soon as possible if you’re not sure about travel arrangements for your child.
You should also make sure your child does all of the following:
- knows their responsibilities as a traveller
- packs only clothes and personal items they need
- knows their travel arrangements and has their itinerary
- has photo identification that matches the name on their ticket
- follows the travel carrier’s rules at the transport terminal, including getting there early
- understands they shouldn’t leave the transport terminal for any reason.
You as the parent or guardian should know your child’s travel arrangements and their itinerary. If they need extra baggage or you’re unsure of the baggage limits, discuss this with the boarding school or hostel.
You must provide your child’s school or hostel your contact details. You must also provide us with this information.
Page last updated: 2 December 2019
This information was printed 6 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/abstudy-fares-allowance/how-manage-your-allowance/parent-or-guardian-responsibilities. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.