Your Centrelink payments when you go into residential aged care

Most people keep getting the same amount of pension after they move into an aged care home.

Why your payments might change

Your rate might go up if you’re part of a couple and you start living apart due to illness.

Rent Assistance normally stops when you move into aged care.

How to pay your pension to your care provider

You can ask for your pension to go straight to your aged care provider. This means we pay it to your residential aged care home instead of to you. They then do the following:

  • take out your fees
  • transfer the rest of the money to you or your nominee.

To choose this, fill in the Please send my payment to an institution – Group Payment form.

When your circumstances change

If you get a pension or other payment from us, you must tell us within 14 days if you either:

  • move into residential aged care
  • sell or rent out your home.

If your living arrangements change, call the Older Australians line to tell us.

These changes can affect both of your:

  • payment amount
  • aged care fees.

Read about change of circumstances.

Page last updated: 9 January 2020