Your new employer may ask for your Centrelink payment information

10 March 2021

If you’re between 16 and 35, they may need your payment details to support their application for JobMaker Hiring Credit.

When you start work, there’re a few things you usually need to do or give your employer.

It can be daunting, but our information about what you need to do when you start a job may help.

Your employer will ask for some information including all of the following. Your:

  • Tax File Number
  • superannuation fund details
  • bank account details.

They may also ask you to complete something called an employee notice. This is if your employer is taking part in the JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme and you meet all of the following. You:

  • started the job between 7 October 2020 and 6 October 2021
  • are between 16 and 35
  • are or were getting certain Centrelink income support payments.

All you need to do is complete the notice and return it to your employer. You don’t get the JobMaker Hiring Credit payment, your employer does.

They may ask for proof of getting the payment from us. This could be a number of things like statements or a payment summary. You can get these yourself in your Centrelink online account through myGov. But, you’re not legally required to provide this.

Next steps

Don’t forget, you need to report your income while you’re getting a payment from us. You can do this online, or by calling our Reporting line. If you have a partner, you’ll need to report their income as well.

You can find out more about the JobMaker scheme including employee eligibility on the ATO website.

Page last updated: 10 March 2021