You must declare any COVID-19 payments in your tax return

9 July 2021

If you got a Coronavirus (COVID-19) payment, here's what you need to know for your tax.

What payments you need to declare

If you got the temporary Coronavirus Supplement or another COVID-19 payment last financial year, you need to declare them in your 2020–21 tax return.

You need to declare if you got any of these COVID-19 payments:

  • Coronavirus Supplement
  • Consumer Travel Support Program (rounds 1 or 2)
  • Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.

Why you need to declare

Some COVID-19 payments are considered taxable income. So you need to declare them, along with any other income you earned during the financial year.

You need to do this even if you asked us to make tax deductions from your taxable Centrelink payments.

The Coronavirus Supplement will be included on your Centrelink payment summary. However, the other 3 COVID-19 payments aren’t. We report these to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) separately.

Next steps

Read more about 2020–21 Centrelink payment summaries.

You can also read about How to lodge your tax return on the ATO website. The easiest way to do your tax is through myGov. You’ll need to link the ATO service, if you haven’t already.

Page last updated: 29 July 2021