You might get Education Entry Payment when you study or train

21 February 2020

If you’re about to do a training course or some study, check if you can get this extra payment.

If you’re looking for work you might need to do some study or training to help you get a job. We can help you get started with Education Entry Payment. It’s a payment of $208 you may get once a year if you study or train.

Who can get it

You may get it if you’ve been getting an eligible income support payment for the past 12 months or more and you start some study or training.

You can be doing the study, course or training part time or full time.

What you can get it for

You may get Education Entry Payment for any eligible course or program, including:

You can also get the Education Entry Payment if you’re about to move to a student payment. To get it, you need to have been on income support payment for at least 12 months directly before studying.

For example, Sarah is 26, has been getting Newstart Allowance for 15 months and is about to study full time. She’ll move to Austudy for her full time study, and will also get Education Entry Payment.

When you can get it

If you have a Job Plan, it must include your approved education or training before you can claim.

For example, Phil has been getting Newstart Allowance for 13 months and is about to do an approved short course. He needs to have the course approved and included in his Job Plan as part of his mutual obligations. Phil will then get the Education Entry Payment. If he does another course the following year he can apply for the payment again.

You may need to tell us that you’re studying or training to get it. You can call us on your regular payment line or visit a service centre.

You don’t need to show us proof of enrolment.

If you’ve already started your course or program, you can still claim. Once you’ve finished studying or training, you can’t claim. So make sure you ask about Education Entry Payment before you finish your course or program.

Next steps

Find out more about Education Entry Payment on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s website.

Read more news for job seekers. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news.

Page last updated: 4 May 2020