You can’t get a payment without giving us your bank details

13 February 2020

Need money in the bank while you study? You’ll need to tell us your bank details to get a student payment.

If you’re about to claim a student payment, you need to have your bank account details on hand.

How to claim a payment

You’ll need a myGov account and a Centrelink online account. If you don’t have them, you’ll need to set them up.

Once you have these, you can begin your claim. As part of your claim, you’ll need to provide details like your tax file number and bank account details. You’ll need to provide these before you can submit your claim.

You’ll need to have all your bank details including:

  • BSB
  • account number
  • account name.

The bank account you provide is where your student payments will end up. We call this your payment destination.

How to update your bank details

If you start using a new bank account, you can update your payment destination via your Centrelink online account.

We recommend keeping your old account open if you’re changing your payment destination. This is until at least you get your first payment in your new account.

Next steps

You can save time by asking questions at Student Update on  Facebook or  Twitter. Remember, you shouldn’t share your personal details when you contact us in a public space like social media.

Read more news for students and trainees. Don’t forget to subscribe so we can send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 6 March 2020