Will you start using child care in 2021?

19 January 2021

If you're planning to enrol your child in child care this year, we have information to help.

What financial help is available

Child Care Subsidy (CCS) helps families with the cost of approved child care.

Approved care includes all of the following:

  • centre based day care, like long day care and occasional care
  • family day care
  • before and after school care, as well as vacation care
  • in home care.

We pay CCS directly to child care providers to reduce the fees you have to pay.

Some families may also get Additional Child Care Subsidy. You can apply if you’re one of the following:

  • a grandparent
  • transitioning to work
  • experiencing temporary financial hardship.

Who can get CCS

You may be eligible for CCS if you or your partner meet the requirements. Your income and other circumstances also affect how much CCS you can get. You also need to do a recognised activity to get CCS. For example this could be doing paid work, or an approved course of study.

Your child must meet immunisation requirements. They also must not be attending secondary school unless an exemption applies. Read more about who can get CCS.

When to apply for CCS

If you’re looking to start child care this year, you don’t need to wait to make a claim. You can claim online now. When you claim, we’ll ask if you pay child care fees, or will in the future. Keep in mind, if you wait we can only backdate your claim up to 28 days.

Before we can pay you CCS, you may need to confirm your child’s enrolment with a child care service.

How to find a child care service

Use Child Care Finder, provided by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment. You’ll be able to get information about child care services near you. This includes early learning and child care services, fees and vacancies.

Page last updated: 19 January 2021