Which payments you can get at 18, 22 or 25
21 July 2021
Your age can affect what student payments you can get from Centrelink. Find out what this could mean for you.
You can become eligible at different ages for a study payment, or your payments could change.
When you turn 18:
- you may become eligible for Youth Allowance, unless you’re in a special situation that makes your eligible before this
- your ABSTUDY payment may go up, depending on your situation
- your parents’ income still usually affects your payment amount.
When you turn 22:
- we automatically consider you to be independent for Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY
- your parents’ income stops affecting your payment amount.
When you turn 25:
- you can apply for Austudy if you’re about to start studying or doing an apprenticeship
- if you’re already studying and getting Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY, nothing changes.
You can find out what payments you may be eligible for by using our online Payment and Service Finder tool.
Page last updated: 26 July 2021
This information was printed 7 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/which-payments-you-can-get-18-22-or-25. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.