When your study changes you need to tell us

2 December 2019

Are you changing your study load or changing courses next year? Know what to tell us about so you won’t owe us money.

We know sometimes the course you’re enrolled in might not be for you. Or you’ve decided to reduce your study load to focus on other things in life

If you’re getting a student payment from us, you need to let us know when your circumstances change. If you don’t, we may pay you the wrong amount. This means you may owe us money that you’ll have to pay back.

Here are some of the things you need to tell us about.

If you’ve dropped a subject

If you’ve dropped any of your subjects, you need to update your study details. You may have reduced your study load. If this is the case, we may not consider you full time.

To get Youth Allowance as a student, or ABSTUDY or Austudy, you need to be studying full time. Full time means you’re studying at least 75% of the equivalent full time study load (EFTSL).

Your place of study can tell you what your EFTSL is. If you’ve got an online student portal, your enrolment information may be there.

To find out more about full time study, go to study loads for Austudy and Youth Allowance.

If you’ve stopped studying completely

If you’ve stopped studying, it may mean you’re not eligible for payment. You need to tell us as soon as you’ve stopped to avoid getting a debt.

You must be studying, or doing an Australian Apprenticeship, to get any of these payments:

If you’ve changed courses

If you’ve changed courses you need to let us know. While you might be at the same uni, your study details have changed. We consider this a new course for your Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY payment.

We’ll need to check if your new course is approved for a student payment. If it’s not, your payment will stop. Read more about approved courses for Youth Allowance and Austudy and approved courses for ABSTUDY.

Changes to your course may also affect how long you can get a student payment from us. Read more about allowable time for Austudyallowable time for Youth Allowance and reasonable time for ABSTUDY.

If you’ve changed where you study

Make sure you update your details if you’ve changed your place of study.

You might be doing a course which has the same name but you’re doing it at a different education provider. You still need to let us know.

If you’ve had any other change in circumstances

While we’ve highlighted some of the common study changes, there are other changes you also need to tell us about. Read more about change of circumstances if you’re getting:

Don’t forget, you must let us know about changes within 14 days. If you don’t, you may end up owing money that you’ll need to pay back.

If you want more information

You can ask questions at Student Update on Facebook or Twitter. Remember, you shouldn’t share your personal details when you contact us in a public space like social media.

Read more news for students and trainees. Don’t forget to subscribe so we can send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 24 February 2020