Types of outcomes when we balance your family payments
26 August 2020
There are 3 possible outcomes when we balance Family Tax Benefit (FTB) and Child Care Subsidy (CCS).
Once we’ve finished balancing your family payments, you’ll get 1 of the following outcomes:
- a top up
- no change
- an overpayment.
We balance CCS separately to FTB, and in most cases, at different times. This means, if you got both FTB and CCS, you’ll get 2 separate balancing outcomes.
What a no change outcome means
If we paid you the correct amount of FTB or CCS, you’ll get a no change outcome. This means you’ll have no change to your payment for 2019-20.
What a top up outcome means
We may not have paid you enough FTB or CCS during the year. If this happens, you’ll get a top up outcome. We’ll pay any money we owe you straight to your nominated bank account.
This amount may include any supplements you’re eligible for.
The Australian Taxation Office may use your top up and supplement payments to repay tax debts you may have.
What an overpayment outcome means
We may have paid you more FTB or CCS than you were eligible for during the 2019-20 year. This could happen because you:
- underestimated your family’s income for the year
- had a change in circumstance, like your relationship status or care arrangements for your children
- had a change in income but didn’t tell us, for example you changed jobs or got a promotion
- didn’t meet eligibility requirements during the year, like child immunisation requirements.
If we think we’ve paid you too much during the year, we won’t finalise the balancing of your payments straight away. This is because we’ve paused some debt activities due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
You don’t need to do anything now. We’ll finish balancing your payments and write to you with the outcome once the pause has ended.
If you want to have your balancing finalised before the debt pause ends call the Families line.
How to avoid an overpayment for 2020-21
To help avoid an overpayment for 2020-21, you can:
- check and update your income estimate using your Centrelink online account through myGov, or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- tell us as soon as your circumstances change
- consider increasing your withholdings if you get CCS
- consider the different payment choices for getting FTB.
Where to find more information
Like and follow our Family Update Facebook page.
Before we can balance your Family Tax Benefit (FTB) and Child Care Subsidy (CCS), you may need to confirm your income.
If you’re eligible, you’ll get it depending on your Family Tax Benefit payment choice.
Page last updated: 26 August 2020
This information was printed 18 September 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/types-outcomes-when-we-balance-your-family-payments. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.