Taking off for an overseas holiday?

14 February 2020

If you get Child Care Subsidy (CCS) or Family Tax Benefit (FTB) here's what you need to know.

You or your children leaving Australia temporarily could affect your CCS and FTB.

If you get CCS

You can still get your subsidy if you leave Australia for up to 6 weeks. But, you still need to be using child care in Australia.

If your child isn’t attending child care, we’ll use your absence days to still pay your CCS. You can have 42 paid absences for each child, per financial year. The time you spend overseas will count towards your absence days.

If you’re away for more than 6 weeks, we’ll stop paying your CCS.

Depending on how long you’re overseas, your CCS enrolment may also cease. Find out more about what happens if we cancel your enrolment for CCS.

You need to let us know your travel plans before you go.

If you get FTB

When you’re overseas, we’ll generally continue to pay your FTB for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, your FTB payments will stop.

You need to let us know your travel plans if you’ll be away for more than 6 weeks. Make sure you do this before you go.

Next steps

Use our guide to advise of travel outside Australia online.

Find out more about:

Read more news for families.

Page last updated: 6 March 2020