Support for people affected by the bushfires

17 January 2020

If the bushfires have affected you, we have payments and services to help.

If you live in a bushfire affected area, you may be eligible to claim a disaster payment from us. Depending on your situation you may be eligible for:

  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance.

The quickest way to claim is to call 180 22 66.

How to access our services

Our staff are visiting bushfire affected communities.

They can help you access disaster recovery assistance and payments.

They also have self service facilities so you can access Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support services.

Find out where they’ll be.

You can also visit a service centre, Agent or Access Point.

How to get mental health support

There’s extra mental health support for people affected by the bushfires. You can get support if either:

  • you or your family were affected
  • you’re an emergency management worker or volunteer.

You don’t need to have a referral or a mental health plan to access these services.

How to access social work services

Our social workers are travelling through fire affected areas with our mobile teams. They can help if you need to turn to someone for support.

You can also talk to a social worker at a service centre. Or you can call 132 850 and ask to speak to a social worker.

How to find more information

Find out more about our disaster assistance for bushfires.

Page last updated: 19 February 2020