Support if you were impacted by the NSW floods

7 June 2021

You have until 28 September 2021 to make a claim for our disaster payments.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment of:

  • $1,000 for eligible adults
  • $400 for each eligible child under the age of 16.

You can claim a payment if you’ve been seriously affected as a direct result of the floods. For example:

  • your home has been severely damaged or destroyed
  • you’ve been seriously injured.

You can also claim Disaster Recovery Allowance if you’ve lost income as a direct result of the floods. If you’re eligible, you can get it for up to 13 weeks, starting from the date you lose income.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is taxable. You can ask us to withhold tax deductions from your payments.

You can’t get the allowance if you get any of the following payments during your claim period:

If you have a partner, you can both get a payment. You just need to make separate claims.

To be eligible, you need to live in one of the affected local government areas (LGAs) and meet other criteria. Check more eligibility details and the LGAs for the following payments:

If you were affected by the NSW floods, you may be eligible for other payments. These include the following:

  • Crisis Payment, a one-off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship
  • one of our payments for job seekers, if you’re looking for work or unable to do your usual work or study.

Pausing debt activity

If you’ve been affected by the floods, we’ve paused some debt raising and recovery activities. You can choose to:

  • stop making repayments on any outstanding Centrelink debts for 6 months
  • adjust your payment arrangement
  • continue with existing repayments.

You can use the Money you owe service to adjust your payment arrangement or the withholdings from your Centrelink payment. You can access the Money you owe service in your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink app.

You can also adjust your withholdings or payment arrangement, or request to pause your repayments by calling your regular payment line.

If you get a new debt letter from us, you won’t have to repay the debt straight away. However, you can choose to start repaying if you want to.

When debt activities start again, we’ll work with you to find an option that best suits your situation.

Next steps

Read more about what support is available if you’ve been affected by the floods.

If you’re going through a difficult time, our social workers can help.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to see what other payments you may be eligible for.

If you’re a job seeker or participant, you can contact your provider for more information about your requirements.

Page last updated: 25 June 2021