Support for families in bushfire affected areas

12 February 2020

Find out about extra support we’re giving families and what you need to do to access it.

Our support for families in bushfire affected areas.

What financial support we offer

Additional payment for children

This is a one off payment of $400 per child. If you got or will get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment, we’ll pay this to you automatically.

Additional Child Care Subsidy Temporary Financial Hardship

This is short term help for families using child care and in significant financial hardship. Find out who can get the Temporary Financial Hardship subsidy. To access it, you must apply within 6 months of the event.

Child Care Subsidy (CCS)

Families living in bushfire declared areas have an exemption to the CCS activity test for this financial year. There’s nothing you need to do. We’ll apply this when we balance your CCS at the end of the financial year.

What other support is available

If you have a child in early education, school or higher education there’s other support. Read more about how the Department of Education, Skills and Employment can support you and bushfire-affected communities on their website.

Bushfires can affect your health in many ways. Learn more about smoke and air quality with bushfire information and support on the Department of Health’s website.

What else you should do

If you have a child support assessment and your situation has changed, call us so we can update your details. This includes if your income or care arrangements for your child has changed. This is important so we can make sure your assessment is correct. You can update your details using the Express Plus Child Support mobile app or call us.

Page last updated: 6 March 2020