Save yourself time and manage your student payment online

9 March 2021

Did you know you can claim and manage almost everything to do with your student payment online?

We know being a student is a busy time. After all, you’re juggling study, work and a social life. We’ve pulled together a list of things you can do online to help save you time.

What you can do before you claim

Before you consider heading to a service centre, see what you can do online.

Check your eligibility

Use our Payment and Service Finder to see what payments and services you might be eligible for. Answer more questions and you can get an idea of how much your fortnightly payment will be. If you’re starting study, you may get Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY or the add on payment, Pensioner Education Supplement.

Get a Centrelink account

If you want to claim a payment online, you need a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) and a Centrelink online account. You’ll need to prove your identity online through myGov to both:

  • get a CRN
  • link your myGov account to Centrelink.

Claim a student payment

To claim, go to your Centrelink online account and make your claim from the comfort of your couch. You can claim up to 13 weeks before you start your course or Australian Apprenticeship.

What you can do after you claim

Once you’ve submitted your claim, you can do many important tasks online. Use your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Track your claim and payment

Now that you’ve submitted your claim, you might wonder how long it will take before you hear from us. You can track the progress of your claim online.

Once you’re getting a payment, you can check when you’ll get your next payment. You’ll also be able to see how much you’ll get.

Report your income

If you’re working while you study, it’s important to tell us how much you earn. This is so we can pay you the right amount.

Make sure you report on time so your payment isn’t late. To make reporting easier, you may see pre-filled employer details.

Update your details

We need to know if your circumstances change so we keep paying you the right payment and the right amount.

If you change your course, or drop subjects, you should let us know within 14 days. This is to prevent you getting a debt you’ll have to pay back.

You should also let us know online if you:

  • change address
  • change campus
  • start or stop work
  • finish studying
  • stop being a full time Australian Apprentice.

What you can do next

You can ask us questions on Facebook. Remember, you shouldn’t share your personal details in a public space like social media.

Subscribe to news for students and trainees and we’ll send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 10 May 2021