Reporting your income for the first time

1 May 2020

Before we can make your first payment, you need to report your income, even if it’s 0.

We can't pay you until you report, as we don't know how much we need to pay you.

How to report your income

We’ll send a task to your Centrelink online account telling you what date you need to report. You’ll need to log into your account using either:

You’ll be prompted to report your income. It’ll take you through a series of steps you’ll have to follow, including adding your employer.

You can also nominate someone close to you or an organisation to report on your behalf. You just need to make a nominee arrangement online.

We need to know the gross amount you and your partner earn, even if it’s 0.

Your reporting period may vary from your payslip. This is because you need to report based on the hours you’ve worked in the reporting period only. If it does, you need to work out your income for the reporting period.

You can use the Employment Diary in your Centrelink online account to help you keep track of your income. You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. It has a Timesheet that allows you to keep track of your income. Alternatively, you can download the paper Earnings worksheet form.

If you don’t have a Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink app, you will get a paper Reporting Statement in the mail. It will let you know when you need to return it to us. Use this form to report your, or your partner’s income.

If you’re self-employed, call us to find out how you should report your income.

Remember that if you or your partner get JobKeeper payment from your employer, it’s counted as income.

After you report

When you report online you’ll get a receipt number and the following information:

  • your first payment amount and the date of deposit
  • your partner’s next payment, if they get a payment from us and they’ve given you permission to see this information
  • your working credit balance
  • your next reporting date.

Where to get more information

Learn more about:

If you’re having trouble with your online account, you can do these things over the phone. You can call our Centrelink reporting line 24 hours a day.

You can also ask us questions on Facebook or Twitter. Remember, you shouldn’t share your personal details when you contact us in a public space like social media.

Read more news for job seekers. Don’t forget to subscribe so we can send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 27 May 2020