Reporting income from JobKeeper Payment

7 May 2020

If you or your partner get income from JobKeeper Payment, you must report it to us if you also get an income support payment.

Your employer must pay you a minimum of $1500 before tax for each fortnight they get JobKeeper Payment for you – this fortnight is known as the JobKeeper fortnight.

Your JobKeeper fortnight and your Centrelink reporting period probably won’t be the same.

This means you’ll need to work out how much of your JobKeeper income needs to be reported in your Centrelink reporting period, along with any other income you’ve earned.

It’s important that for the first fortnight you get JobKeeper income, you work out how many days to report it in your Centrelink reporting period.

Check with your employer what JobKeeper fortnight they are paying you for, so you can report your income correctly. You can find a list of JobKeeper fortnights on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Reporting your JobKeeper income

  1. Once you’ve found out your employer’s JobKeeper fortnight, match these dates to your reporting period to find out how many days in this period you’re getting JobKeeper income.
  2. Report JobKeeper income for these days in your reporting period.
  3. If you’re getting JobKeeper income for your whole reporting period, report the entire amount your employer is paying you. This will be at least $1500 before tax.
  4. If you’re not getting JobKeeper income for your whole reporting period, or if your reporting period has less than 10 days in it, divide the amount your employer is paying you before tax each JobKeeper fortnight by 10 to get a daily rate. Multiply the daily rate by the number of days you’re getting JobKeeper income in your reporting period and report this amount.
    For example, if the total amount you’re getting before tax for each JobKeeper fortnight is $1500, your daily rate will be $150. If you need to report JobKeeper income for 5 days in your Centrelink reporting period, you’d multiply $150 by 5, and report $750 in JobKeeper income.
  5. If you earned any other income in the reporting period, you need to report this too.

If you’re still working some hours, remember to include your hours worked. If you’re getting income from JobKeeper but not working, report you’ve worked 0 hours.

You can report income from JobKeeper, including for past reporting periods, using either:

You won’t be able to use the employment diary in your online account or the timesheet in the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app to report your JobKeeper income.

If your employer back pays you

Some employers will back pay their employees JobKeeper income. Your employer will let you know if you get back pay.

If you get back pay from your employer, you need to report this. Report it against the fortnights your employer got JobKeeper Payment for.

You’ll need to call us on your regular payment line if any of these apply:

  • your back pay is for more than 12 weeks
  • you can’t update your employment income online
  • you’re not sure how to report your back pay.

We can help you do this.

If you get a payment from us and JobKeeper income covering the same period of time, you may end up with an overpayment. You will need to pay it back. If this happens, we’ll work with you to resolve it.

If you’re a sole trader or self employed

If you’re a sole trader or self employed, you must report JobKeeper Payment as business income. You’ll have to submit an updated Profit and Loss statement if there’s a change to your overall business profit.

If you don’t do this, you may owe us money that you’ll need to pay back.

Cancelling or withdrawing your payment

Generally, you’ll earn over the income cut off point if you get income support and JobKeeper income for the same period. This means you may get a nil payment.

If you already get an income support payment from us, you can cancel your payment.

You can withdraw your claim if your employer starts paying you JobKeeper income and you’ve applied for an income support payment.

Page last updated: 17 September 2020