Recently separated? Here’s what you need to do

25 January 2021

You need to tell us if you separate from your partner as it may affect your payment.

Your relationship status can affect any of the following:

  • your eligibility for a payment
  • the type of payment you can get
  • the amount you get.

There are different ways to tell us you’ve separated. You can use your Centrelink online account through myGov to tell us if you get 1 of the following payments:

If you can’t tell us online, you can complete and return the separation details form.

Once you’ve told us, we’ll process the separation details to make sure you’re getting the correct amount.

If you told us you’ve separated as part of a new claim for another payment, you don’t need to tell us again.

You can call the Families line if you separate and both of these apply:

  • you get family payments only
  • you’re not claiming another payment.

Next steps

You can upload and submit documents online. We have the following online guides to help you upload your documents using:

You can use our Payment and service finder to find a payment you may be eligible for.

If you already get a payment, read more about how to manage your payment.

If you’re affected by family or domestic violence, we have payments and information to support you

Page last updated: 27 January 2021