Proof of identity changes for new Centrelink claims

25 March 2020

You don’t need to visit a service centre to prove your identity to claim a new payment.

If you’re a new customer

You’ll need a Customer Reference Number (CRN), to make a claim. You may not have a CRN if you’ve never had a payment or service from us before.

If you don’t have a CRN, you’ll need to call us on the job seeker line. We’ll establish your identity over the phone to create your CRN.

When you call us you’ll need to provide us proof of your identity. We’ll ask you for details from one or more of these:

  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian citizenship by descent certificate
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian driver licence
  • Australian marriage certificate
  • Valid Australian passport
  • Australian visas
  • Certificate of identity
  • Change of name certificate
  • Department of Immigration issued ImmiCard
  • Australian Shooters Licence
  • Australian Security Licence
  • Overseas Passport government issued Proof of Age (POA) cards
  • Secondary student photo identification cards.

We’ll give you your CRN and a linking code. Use these to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

Once it’s linked, you can make your claim online. This is the quickest way to claim a Centrelink payment.

If you have a problem starting your Centrelink claim, you can either:

After you register your intention to claim through myGov, we’ll contact you and tell you the next steps.

If you’re an existing customer

If you already have a CRN, you can link to Centrelink through myGov to claim a Centrelink payment.

If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one. You’ll then need to link it to Centrelink, using your CRN. You’ll need to answer some questions to link the right record and create your Centrelink online account.

Next steps

Find out more about coronavirus (COVID-19) and confirming your identity.

Page last updated: 25 March 2020