Other payments and extras you can get with a student payment
24 February 2021
You may get other payments while you’re getting Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY.
Sometimes you can get other payments while you get a student payment.
These can help with the cost of study or other costs of living.
We’ll automatically assess you for the following:
- Health Care Card, we’ll send one to you which entitles you to cheaper prescription medicines.
- Energy Supplement, an extra payment you may get to cover energy costs.
- Rent Assistance, can help you cover the cost while you rent or board.
- Remote Area Allowance, you can get this for 8 weeks from the date you leave your usual home.
- Coronavirus Supplement, financial support when you’re affected by coronavirus.
If you’re eligible you can claim for any of the following:
- Pharmaceutical Allowance, if you can’t study due to illness or another medical reason, you’ll have to send us medical certificates.
- Educations Entry Payment, get this if you’ are about transferring to a student payment from another income support payment.
- Tertiary Access Payment, helps with the cost of moving from outer regional or remote areas for tertiary study.
- Student Start-up Loan, a voluntary $1,094 loan for up to 2 times a year that you’ll have to pay back.
Read more about these payments:
Page last updated: 24 February 2021
This information was printed 15 April 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/other-payments-and-extras-you-can-get-student-payment. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.