Other payments and extras you can get with a student payment

24 February 2021

You may get other payments while you’re getting Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY.

Sometimes you can get other payments while you get a student payment.

These can help with the cost of study or other costs of living.

We’ll automatically assess you for the following:

  • Health Care Card, we’ll send one to you which entitles you to cheaper prescription medicines.
  • Energy Supplement, an extra payment you may get to cover energy costs.
  • Rent Assistance, can help you cover the cost while you rent or board.
  • Remote Area Allowance, you can get this for 8 weeks from the date you leave your usual home.
  • Coronavirus Supplement, financial support when you’re affected by coronavirus.

If you’re eligible you can claim for any of the following:

  • Pharmaceutical Allowance, if you can’t study due to illness or another medical reason, you’ll have to send us medical certificates.
  • Educations Entry Payment, get this if you’ are about transferring to a student payment from another income support payment.
  • Tertiary Access Payment, helps with the cost of moving from outer regional or remote areas for tertiary study.
  • Student Start-up Loan, a voluntary $1,094 loan for up to 2 times a year that you’ll have to pay back.

Next steps

Read more about these payments:

Page last updated: 24 February 2021