New Tertiary Access Payment for students

1 January 2021

If your child is moving from an outer regional or remote area, they might be eligible for financial assistance.

The Tertiary Access Payment is a new $5,000 payment to students moving for tertiary study after finishing year 12 or equivalent. It’s paid in 2 instalments over the first year of study.

If they’re eligible, your child can claim the payment now.

If they’re moving to study at a vocational education and training provider or non-university higher education provider, they need to apply through us. They can apply online through their Centrelink online account through myGov.

If they’re moving to study at university, they can apply through their uni. They’ll need to talk to their uni about how to apply.

Your child can check our website to see if they’re eligible for other payments like:

Your child can claim these other payments up to 13 weeks before they start study.

Next steps

Read more:

Page last updated: 1 January 2021