New payment for school leavers moving to study

19 November 2020

If your child is moving from an outer regional or remote area to study, they might get the Tertiary Access Payment.

This is a new payment of $5,000 for students moving for tertiary study straight after finishing year 12 or equivalent. It’s paid in 2 instalments over the first year of study.

To be eligible for the Tertiary Access Payment, your child needs to be:

  • from an outer regional or remote area
  • a school leaver who has completed Year 12 or equivalent
  • enrolled in at least 1 year of full time tertiary study at certificate 4 level or above
  • starting study in the next available study period
  • under 22 years old on the day they start studying
  • moving to study at an education institute that’s more than 90 minutes from their family home by public transport.

Your combined income must be below $250,000 for your child to get this payment. They don’t need to get other payments from us to get it.

You can check if your home makes your child eligible using the Student Regional Area Search tool.

Your child can claim the Tertiary Access Payment from 1 January 2021.

If they also want to claim Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY they can do this 13 weeks before their course starts. If they claim early, they’re more likely to have their payment when they need it.

Next steps

Use the Payment and Service Finder to check for other financial assistance your child may get.

Read more news for families.

Page last updated: 19 November 2020