If your family income has changed, make sure you let us know

19 April 2021

You must report income for family payments and income support payments in different ways.

You need to report changes to your income for both family payments and income support payments. If you have a partner, we’ll need to know about changes to their income as well.

When your employment changes, it’s important to update your family income estimate. This will help you get paid the right amount of Family Tax Benefit (FTB) and Child Care Subsidy (CCS).

When you update your, and your partner’s, family income estimate, you’re only updating it for FTB and CCS. You must report your income separately if you get an income support payment from us, like Parenting Payment. This means you may need to tell us twice.

Letting us know when there are changes for each payment will help us pay you the right amount. For income support payments, you may need to report income regularly, for example every 2 weeks.

You can update your family income estimate online. To do this, use your Centrelink online account through myGov, or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. If you get an income support payment, how you tell us depends on your situation. You may be able to tell us online, or you may need to call us. If you’re unsure, you can find out more about reporting your income for an income support payment. You can also call the Centrelink reporting line.

Next steps

Check out our online guides for help updating your family income estimate using either your:

Read more news for families.

Page last updated: 2 August 2021