A Health Care Card is extra help for students
27 April 2021
When you get your student payment, we’ll send you a Health Care Card. It can help with medical expenses and other discounts.
You don’t need to apply for a Health Care Card. We’ll send it to you in the mail once we approve your claim for one of these student payments:
- ABSTUDY Living Allowance
- Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices.
With your Health Care Card, you may be able to get:
- bulk billed doctor appointments
- cheaper prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net.
You may also be able to get discounts from state governments and local councils.
Your card is valid for 1 year. We’ll send you a new card when the one you have expires.
- use your Health Care Card digitally through the Digital Wallet part of your Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- read more about Health Care Cards
- find what other support you can get in your state or territory.
Page last updated: 27 April 2021
This information was printed 3 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/health-care-card-extra-help-students. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.