Have you moved house? Don't forget to let us know

1 April 2021

If you get a student payment, you need to tell us your new address within 14 days.

Moving closer to uni? Joining a new share house?

If you’re getting a student payment from us, we need to know when your home situation changes. This includes if:

  • you change your address or contact details
  • you move back to your parents' or guardians’ home
  • you change the parent you’re living with
  • you start living with your partner
  • you move into or out of long term care, like a nursing home or hostel
  • you’re in lawful custody.

If you get Rent Assistance, you must also tell us if any of these things happen. You:

  • stop paying rent, or the amount of rent you pay changes
  • start or stop sharing accommodation
  • start paying rent to a state, territory or Commonwealth Housing Authority
  • move in with your parent or guardian.

It’s important you tell us about any of these changes within 14 days. If you don’t tell us, it may affect your payment. You may need to pay back money we’ve paid you.

Next steps

Update your address using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Or, use our online guide to help you update your address details using your Centrelink online account.

Read more news for students and trainees.

Page last updated: 1 April 2021