Get the right amount of Child Care Subsidy for your family

7 August 2020

Find out about managing your Child Care Subsidy and extra help available if you’re affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Lots of things may have changed in your life recently, especially if you’ve been impacted by COVID-19. This could include changes in your child care arrangements, your income, your work hours or your ability to meet your study requirements.

If things have changed, you need to update your details so we can pay the right amount of Child Care Subsidy (CCS) for your family.

Update your activity details

We use your activity level to work out how many hours of CCS you can get a fortnight. We base your activity level on the hours of recognised activities you do. This includes if you’re working, studying or getting income from JobKeeper payment.

Use our online guide to update your activity test for Child Care Subsidy.

You don’t need to update your hours if:

  • you’re on leave from work
  • you need to self isolate.

Extra hours

You may be able to get more CCS if your family is doing less activity because of COVID-19. If eligible, you can access extra hours between 13 July 2020 and 4 April 2021. Read more about who can apply and what you need to do.

Update your family income estimate

Your family income estimate affects how much CCS you can get.

If your or your partner’s income changes, you need to update your estimate. This needs to be as accurate as possible.

If your income is hard to estimate, you can increase your CCS withholdings. This helps reduce the chance of an overpayment.

Use absence days when you need to

We can pay CCS if your child is absent from care. You can get 42 absences per child in the 2020-21 financial year. You can use these absence days for any reason.

If you live in Victoria, you can now get CCS for 30 extra absences per child. This means, you can get up to 72 absences for the 2020-21 financial year.

You may not have to pay a gap fee if your child can’t attend care because your child care service is:

  • temporarily closed due to public health advice, no matter where you live
  • located in a restricted area within Victoria

You should talk to your service about payments if this happens.  

Get more help with child care fees

If you already get CCS, you may be able to apply for Additional Child Care Subsidy.

If you want more information

You can read about:

Page last updated: 28 September 2020