Extra benefits and payments you can get with a student payment
4 May 2021
You may get extra help on top of your fortnightly Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY payment.
Sometimes you can get other payments and benefits while you get a student payment.
These can help with the cost of study or other costs of living.
We’ll automatically assess you for the following:
- Health Care Card, a concession card we send you which helps with cheaper prescription medicines
- Energy Supplement, an extra payment you may get to cover energy costs
- Rent Assistance, an extra payment to help you cover the costs of renting or boarding
- Remote Area Allowance, an extra payment for people living in remote areas.
If you’re eligible, you can claim for any of the following:
- Pharmaceutical Allowance, if you can’t study due to illness or another medical reason
- Education Entry Payment, if you’re starting study after being on an income support payment for 12 months or longer
- Tertiary Access Payment, if you’re a tertiary student who moves to study from an outer regional or remote area
- Student Start-up Loan, a voluntary $1,094 loan for tertiary students that you’ll have to pay back.
If you’re experiencing anxiety or depression, or going through a crisis, you can talk to a social worker.
Read more about these concession cards, payments and loans:
- Health Care Card
- Energy Supplement
- Rent Assistance
- Remote Area Allowance
- Pharmaceutical Allowance for a temporary illness or medical condition
- Education Entry Payment
- Tertiary Access Payment
- Student Start-up Loan.
Read more news for students and trainees.
Page last updated: 4 May 2021
This information was printed 13 May 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/extra-benefits-and-payments-you-can-get-student-payment. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.