The easiest way to claim a payment is online

1 May 2020

You don’t need to call or visit a service centre to establish your identity and claim a payment.

If you’re new to Centrelink and need to claim a payment

If you’ve never claimed a payment from us before, there are a few things you need to do:

The good news is you can now do all this online through myGov.

myGov will verify your identity and share these details with us. We’ll give you a CRN and link Centrelink to your myGov account. Once linked, you can make your claim.

If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one. To establish your identity in myGov, sign in to your myGov account. Select Continue from the Government support for Coronavirus banner. Then select I need a CRN.

You’ll need to enter details from 2 identity documents and your Medicare card.

The 2 identity documents will include 1 of these documents:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian resident or tourist visa.

You’ll also need 1 of these documents:

  • Australian driver licence
  • ImmiCard, issued by the Department of Home Affairs
  • Australian Citizenship by Descent Certificate.

Once myGov establishes your identity, they’ll share your details with us. We’ll use these details to check you don’t already have a CRN record matching your details. If we don’t find a CRN, we’ll create one for you. If we find one, you’ll need to answer some questions to confirm the record is yours.

We may need to confirm your identity in person later. We’ll contact you in the future to let you know what we need.

Once you have your CRN, myGov will link Centrelink to your myGov account. Now you’re set up and ready to make your claim online.

You can call us, if you either:

  • don’t have the details myGov need to verify your identity
  • have a problem claiming a payment online.

If you’re an existing customer

If you already have a CRN, you need to link Centrelink to your myGov account, if it isn’t already.

Your CRN stays the same. It doesn’t change and we don’t delete it if you don’t get a payment from us anymore.

If you can’t find or don’t know your CRN, you can go through myGov to get your CRN. You need to verify your identity with myGov and answer some questions to link the right Centrelink record. This will link Centrelink to your myGov account and you can now make your claim online.

If you need more information

Find out more about coronavirus (COVID-19) and confirming your identity.

Page last updated: 1 May 2020