Do you need to travel for study?

20 January 2021

If you get a student payment from us, you might be eligible for help to cover travel costs.

Fares Allowance helps cover the cost of travel between your permanent home and place of study. This might be when you start or finish study, or to travel home between semesters.

Your permanent home might be where your parents live, where your partner lives or where your dependent children live.

It covers the cost of travel in Australia on the least expensive, most reasonable transport. Usually, this is public transport.

To get Fares Allowance, you need to meet all of these:

If you get ABSTUDY, you can get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance to study away from home for any of these:

  • secondary school studies
  • tertiary studies
  • away from base activities.

If you can get Fares Allowance or ABSTUDY Fares Allowance, we can pre-book your travel. Contact us at least 7 days before your trip to ask us to pre-book your travel.

If you claim Fares Allowance or ABSTUDY Fares Allowance after your trip, you need to give us paperwork. This includes a copy of your travel itinerary and receipts. Make sure you have this paperwork ready to go when you claim.

If you’re from a regional or remote area, you might get Relocation Scholarship. This payment is also for students who move to a regional area to study.

Next steps

Read more about Fares Allowance or ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.

Page last updated: 20 January 2021