Do I need to switch to a student payment if I’m starting study?
18 May 2021
If you already get a payment from us, you may be able to get Pensioner Education Supplement on top.
The Pensioner Education Supplement (PES) is an extra payment to help with study costs. Rather than switching to a student payment like Austudy, you may be able to get PES on top of your usual payment.
To get PES, you need to be all the following:
- getting a payment from us that has PES as an add-on
- studying an approved course
- a full time student or a part time student in special circumstances.
Payments from us which may have PES as an add-on include:
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension
- JobSeeker Payment as a single principal carer
- Parenting Payment single
- Special Benefit as a single parent
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance as a single principal carer.
You may also get PES if you get certain payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
Read more news for students and trainees.
Page last updated: 18 May 2021
This information was printed 3 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/do-i-need-switch-student-payment-if-im-starting-study. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.