Do I need to provide an Employment Separation Certificate?

19 November 2020

We haven’t asked for one since March 2020. However, from 1 January 2021, you may need to include one.

If you're claiming an income support payment on or after 1 January 2021, we may ask about your previous employment. If we do ask, you may need to give us an Employment Separation Certificate and payslips. We’ll tell you if we need these when you claim.

Your former employer fills out the Employment Separation Certificate. The easiest way for them to complete and submit an Employment Separation Certificate is through Centrelink Business Online Service.

They can also download, print and fill out the Employment Separation Certificate form and send it back to us. They can give it back to you to submit online. You can submit through your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Your former employer has 14 days to fill it out and submit it. If they hand it back to you, you can submit it as part of your claim for a payment.

More information

You can also read news for jobseekers and students and trainees. Don’t forget you can subscribe to get these regular updates sent directly to your mailbox.

Page last updated: 19 November 2020