Did you travel between your place of study and home during 2020?
15 March 2021
If you’re eligible, you can submit a claim for Fares Allowance by 31 March 2021 to help cover your travel costs.
What help there is
Your permanent home might be where your parents live, where your partner lives or where your dependent children live.
You need to meet different criteria to get each allowance.
To get Fares Allowance, you need to meet all of these:
- be a tertiary student living away from home to study
- get Youth Allowance, Austudy or Pensioner Education Supplement
- meet the other eligibility criteria.
To get ABSTUDY Fares Allowance, you need to meet all of these:
- be a secondary, tertiary, masters or doctorate student
- get either ABSTUDY or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement
- meet other eligibility requirements.
When to claim
You can claim before or after your journey.
However, to get help for the travel you took in 2020 you need to submit claims by 31 March 2021.
If you don’t submit it before this date, we’ll reject your claim.
How you can claim
If you’re claiming for your 2020 journeys, you’ll need to fill in either the:
- claim for Fares Allowance tertiary students only Austudy, Youth Allowance or Pensioner Education Supplement form
- ABSTUDY Fares Allowance Claim form.
You may also need to give us proof of your travel. This could include an itinerary and tax invoices.
Read more about:
Subscribe to news for students and trainees.
Page last updated: 15 March 2021
This information was printed 3 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/did-you-travel-between-your-place-study-and-home-during-2020. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.