COVID-19 Disaster Payment for people affected by restrictions
4 June 2021
The Australian Government has announced a new COVID-19 Disaster Payment to help people affected by COVID-19 restrictions.
The new payment will help Victorian workers who are unable to earn income due to the current lockdown restrictions.
You can claim this payment using your Centrelink online account through myGov from Tuesday 8 June 2021.
You must meet all of the following:
- be an Australian resident, permanent resident or eligible working visa holder
- live or work in a Commonwealth declared hotspot
- be unable to work and earn income as a result of a state lockdown
- be where the lockdown is for more than 7 days
- have liquid assets of $10,000 or less.
If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account, you can get ready and set them up now
We’ll pay you one payment for each period of lockdown. You’ll get either:
- $325 if you’ve lost less than 20 hours of work
- $500 if you’ve lost 20 hours or more of work.
This payment is taxable.
You can’t get this payment for the first 7 days of lockdown.
You can’t get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment if you’re getting any of these:
- income support payments
- Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment
- state small business payment.
You need to have used up other pandemic state based entitlements and all paid leave entitlements except annual leave.
More information on how to claim will be available soon on payments and services during coronavirus.
You can read about how to access and claim other payments and services in Victoria.
You may be eligible for other payments instead such as:
- Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, if you’ve been told to isolate or quarantine or have to care for someone with COVID-19
- Crisis Payment, a one-off payment if you’ve experienced an extreme circumstance and are in severe financial hardship
- one of our payments for job seekers, if you’re looking for work or unable to do your usual work or study.
Page last updated: 7 June 2021
This information was printed 4 June 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/covid-19-disaster-payment-people-affected-restrictions. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.