Centrelink debt pause update
8 January 2021
The pause on debt activity is ending for everyone from 11 January 2021, but repayments won’t restart until February.
Last October, the debt pause in response to COVID-19 ended for most people. From 11 January 2021, the pause will have ended for everyone.
If you were repaying a debt before the pause
You may have put your repayments on hold. If you have, we’ll keep them on hold until February. There’s nothing you need to do now. We’ll let you know before you need to start repaying the money again.
If you want to start repaying the money before February, please either:
- use the Money you owe service in your Centrelink online account through myGov or your Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- call us on the Centrelink debt recovery line that is open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm.
If we’ve noticed you’ve been overpaid
We may have noticed you were overpaid in the past. Because we weren’t raising debts during the pause, you may not know this. Now the pause has ended, we’ll write to you if you’ve been overpaid.
If you’ve been overpaid, we’re here to help you.
There are 4 things to know:
- You don’t need to pay anything back until February, but you can if you want to.
- If you don’t understand why you’ve been overpaid you can talk to us. Call us on your regular Centrelink payment line and ask us to explain. If you disagree with the decision, you can ask for a review.
- When you need to start repaying the money there’ll be options. You’ll be able to work with us to find the best one for you.
- If you’re worried about this we can give you support. We have social workers who can provide short term counselling, information and referrals to other services.
Please keep your contact details up to date at all times. Use our guide to check and update your contact details online.
Watch our video about restarting debt activity after the COVID-19 debt pause.
Page last updated: 13 April 2021
This information was printed 15 April 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/centrelink-debt-pause-update. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.