Career, work and study options after year 12

14 December 2020

2020 has been a difficult and uncertain year, but there are resources to help you decide what comes next.

It’s good to consider how different pathways can help you succeed in your chosen career.

You can explore the jobs that might interest you on the Your Career website. Complete the quiz to uncover future careers and find education and training options. You can also find tips for your job search and resume, and support services to help you find work.

If you’re still not sure, ask for tailored help using the Your Career School Leaver Support. You can call 1800 227 337 or get in contact by text message or email. You can also book a free careers session from the National Careers Institute.

Supporting further study

We have payments to support students doing further study. If you’re thinking about further study after year 12, check if you’re eligible for the following:

There are also extra payments you can get, depending on your personal circumstances.

Taking a gap year

If you take a gap year and work before doing further study, you might get a payment as an independent student.

We made changes to support you to access a student payment sooner.

If you work in the agricultural sector on your gap year, we might consider you independent for student payments. You need to earn at least $15,000 between 30 November 2020 and 31 December 2021 to qualify. Your parents’ or guardians’ must also have a combined income less than $160,000 per year. There’s an extra $10,000 added to the parental income limit for each of your eligible siblings.

As well as your work history, you need to meet eligibility criteria to get a student payment.

If you work in the agricultural sector, you might be able to get other financial help. The Department of Education, Skills and Employment has relocation assistance to take up short term agricultural work.

Next steps

Read about:

Page last updated: 19 January 2021