Can you get Education Entry Payment?

19 March 2020

If you’ve been on an income support payment for the past 12 months, you might be able to.

If you’re transferring from an income support payment to a student payment, you may be eligible for Education Entry Payment.

It’s a once a year payment of $208 you may get when you study or train.

You can get it if you:

  • have been getting JobSeeker Payment or another approved payment for the past 12 months
  • are about to start an approved course
  • haven’t got Education Entry Payment in the last 12 months.

You need to let us know you’re about to start studying before you transfer to 1 of these payments:

That way we’ll be able to check if you’re eligible for Education Entry Payment. Read more about what payments qualify you to get Education Entry Payment.

You can also get Education Entry Payment if you do an approved short course or some training. Learn about how you might get it when you study or train as a job seeker.

Example when transferring to a student payment

Sarah is 26 and has been getting JobSeeker Payment for 15 months. Sarah calls the Job seekers line to let us know she’s about to start studying. She’ll move to Austudy for her full time study, and will also get Education Entry Payment.

Next steps

If you think you’re eligible for Education Entry Payment because you’re about to transfer to a student payment, contact us. You can call your regular payment line.

Read more about news for students and trainees. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular updates.

Page last updated: 9 April 2020